Saturday, May 16, 2009

Fun Fund Raising

We are going to Botswana in August. I never thought that would be writing those words in a post. Jamie is not very fond of flying (read this for her own words about it). I felt a calling to go on a mission trip a few years ago. I didn't have a passport at the time nor did I really want to leave Jamie for a week to fly to another country. There is a time and a place for everything, and it just was not the time.

Now is the time. Our Sunday school teacher, who is also an associate pastor at our church, asked us if we would be interest in going on the Botswana trip. At first we said maybe and kind of shrugged it off, but after Jamie and I prayed about it, we knew it was what God wanted us to do. This trip is to help married couples in Botswana. We will be assisting Denise and David Glenn with a "Freedom for Mothers/Freedom for Fathers" conference. And you know I will be taking photographs to document the trip.

In order to go we have to raise some money. Don't worry I'm not going to hit you up for a donation, at least not yet. But if you just feel led to donate I'm not going to stop you either; there is even a nice little airplane at the bottom of the blog that you can click on to donate.

This post is more about a cool fund raising event that we are doing on June 5th 2009. We're having a Dinner, Dancing and Auction for Missions. There will be a great pot luck dinner. After all what kind of Baptist Church would it be if we didn't have a pot luck dinner ever now and then? There will be dance lessons, taught by Jamie and me (yes, just one of the many other things we have in our box of tricks). And there will be an auction of stuff and services from members of our Sunday school class. That is why it is called "the night of Dinner, Dancing and Auction for Mission" (we're more creative with what we are auctioning than in coming up with a name for it). So if you are in the Atlanta area and would like to come just leave me a comment and I'll get you more information.

Ken